The Thames Estuary Army Forts, constructed in 1942, were built to provide anti-aircraft fire within the Thames Estuary area. Each fort consisted of a group of seven towers with a walkway connecting them all to the central control tower
They are off the North Kent coast. The forts were labandonned during the 1950’s and taken over by pirate Radio Station in the 1960’s.
A map showing the prehistoric proglacial Lake Iroquois overlaid with the outline of the present (1904) Lake Ontario. The ancient shore of Lake Iroquois can still be read as an escarpment running east-west along the edge of Davenport Road and in the Scarborough bluffs in Toronto.